Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Shopaholism is genetic...

So, I try not to watch too much TV, but the other night on MTV there was a show that I couldn't miss. It was called True Life: I'm a Shopaholic. The main reason I watched is because I was seriously fearful that I may have a problem. Turns out, I'm safe. Those girls were crazy! One girl would leave in the middle of a date just to go buy something! Let me tell you, if I was lucky enough to be on a date, I definitely would not leave it early! Also, they had maxed out ridiculous amounts of credit cards, and would buy clothes instead of paying bills. I am not that bad, by any means. I do blame my SMALL shopping problem on one individual though...my Dad. For example, here is the conversation I had with my father on Black Friday (for you ignorant fools, Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. A.K.A. The biggest shopping day of the year).

Dad: Holly, did you buy my Christmas present yet?

Me: Um, er, well...no.

Dad: Ok, I went through all of the ads that were in the newspaper yesterday and I have compiled a list of everything that I want (Dad showing me a list of 20-30 items). I have also cut out the ads of the items I want and written on them what store they are at. So, which one do you want to buy me?

Me: What about it being a surprise?

Dad: Well, you have to pick one now because whatever you don't buy me, I am just going to go and buy myself.

Me: (Reaching for an ad) I guess I will take this one.

Dad: And you have to go buy it today because they are all on sale, and if it's not on sale, I don't want it.

My Dad is an amazing shopper, I just keep trying to live up to that! Also, when he opens presents he will ask where we got it, usually we will say something like, "Wal-Mart". He will then respond, "I saw it cheaper at Costco, I'm taking this back". Oh, how I love my father!

shop·a·hol·ic (shŏp'ə-hô'lĭk, -hŏl'ĭk) Pronunciation Key n. A person who shops compulsively or very frequently.

1 comment:

Laura said...

OK I am laughing outloud at that.. SOOO Dad! What a freak, gotta love him!